History

Algiers is a historic community in New Orleans that was founded in 1719 by Jean Baptiste le Moyne, Sieur de Bienville. Home to approximately 52,785 residents, Algiers is uniquely located on the Westbank of the Mississippi River opposite New Orleans.  The community’s geography allows for convenient access to New Orleans via long-running ferry services and the Crescent City Connection. As a regional artery, Algiers is uniquely surrounded by Downtown New Orleans, the French Quarter, Plaquemines Parish and the City of Gretna.

In addition to location, Algiers is home to many historic landmarks, educational institutions businesses and innovative projects for the community’s future. The Algiers Courthouse, Cita Dennis Hubbell Library, Woodlands Trail, Delgado Community College, Our Lady of Holy Cross College, Lakewood Golf Club and Louisiana’s top economic development project—Federal City—are a few landmark institutions that are safely incubated and thriving in Algiers.

Likewise, Algiers is home to two Louisiana Cultural Products Districts, which are leading innovative community revitalization projects:  the Old Algiers Cultural Products Districts and the Federal City Tunisburg Cultural Products District. And the community and its six commercial neighborhood areas—Algiers Point, Newton Street, Federal City, Kabel Drive, Cut Off and Tullis/Woodland—are witnessing phenomenal transformation with more than $1 billion in current and planned economic development projects.

Such assets are the core of the Algiers community, the pride of Algiers residents and the blue print for the community’s future.